Rollaway and runaway accidents don’t have to happen.
Driver inadvertently forgets to set the parking brake…
This scene is more common than you might think: a driver steps down from their tractor and walks away. Moments later, out of view, the tractor starts to roll because the driver didn’t set the parking brake. Incidents like this can be damaging – or worse, deadly. Not only do they come at great cost in terms of money and resources, but they can also damage a fleet’s reputation. But they don’t have to happen. Intellipark™ electronic parking brake technology by Bendix® can help make these kinds of accidents – and their repercussions – a thing of the past.
Intellipark® from Bendix backs up the driver…
Intellipark is a new electronic parking brake system designed to help drivers prevent rollaway and runaway crashes caused by an improperly set or accidentally disengaged parking brake. Intellipark replaces the manual air parking brake buttons with easy-to-apply electronic switches. The system can automatically set the parking brake if the driver exits the vehicle without doing so, helping to deliver safety, value, and a quick return on investment to fleets.
Keep in mind, the Intellipark electronic parking brake does not replace the driver’s responsibility to ensure the vehicle’s parking brake is engaged when parking the truck. Intellipark backs up the driver's primary safe parking practices.
Automatic Parking Brake Engagement
Using a series of interlocks – door switch, seat belt and vehicle speed – Intellipark® automatically sets the parking brake on both the tractor and trailer should the driver forget to do so. These interlocks give Intellipark the ability to intervene when a driver exits the vehicle without setting the parking brake.
Designed for almost any air-braked vehicle, additional interlocks can be developed for more specific vehicle applications (wheel chair “lift,” bucket lift, etc). These interlocks are incorporated via software and Intellipark’s Dash Electronic Control Unit (DECU) and Park Valve Module (PVM), usually without the installation of any additional valves.
A Flip of a Switch is All it Takes
Setting the parking brake with Intellipark™ is as easy as flipping a switch – literally. Gone are the hard to push/pull red and yellow air switches on the dash.
The enhanced ergonomics of the easy-to-use switches may even help reduce driver fatigue and decrease repetitive motion injuries.
Delivers Quick ROI
Did you know that the average fleet spend on rollaway/runaway accidents every year is $1.41 million.*
Just one incident can bring serious financial impact to any fleet owner or owner-operator.
By helping avoid vehicle and property damage, or even worse, loss of life, Intellipark can help lower crash and liability impact, as well as associated costs on commercial liability insurance.
* Based on the FMCSA and Frost & Sullivan 2016 US HD Fleet Managers Study: “Willingness to Pay for Advanced Technologies.”
Lowers Maintenance Costs
Reducing the cost of maintaining vehicles is usually at the top of most fleets “to do” list. Intellipark® can help.
- Intellipark® helps prevent tire flat-spotting when the trailer brakes have been accidentally left engaged.
- Automatically releases the trailer's brakes once the vehicle begins moving, lessening or eliminating trailer wheel end damage.
- Designed to be a simple, durable system means less wear and tear leading to a longer component life and simplified maintenance costs. In fact, if it's even needed, maintenance typically involves only the simple replacement of one electronic component.
More Than Just an Intelligent Brake
Intellipark® offers additional on-the-road and back-office features:
- The Park Valve Module (valve/solenoid portion of the system located out of sight of the driver) is equipped with latching solenoids to ensure a safe vehicle state even with power loss.
- Displays the trailer’s air supply status – and an alert if necessary – via LED indicator lights located directly on the parking switches.
- Automatically disengages the trailer park brake when an operator inadvertently attempts to drive away with it parked (Trailer Auto-Park Release).
- Data from Intellipark® can be delivered to your fleet’s back office via SafetyDirect® by Bendix CVS to help strengthen driver training efforts.
- Park-at-Speed: In emergency situations, the parking brake can be engaged by the driver while in motion, bringing the vehicle to a more controlled stop.
Advanced driver assistance systems, such as Intellipark™, offer fleets the opportunity to reduce the likelihood of accidents and improve insight through advanced data gathering and analytics.
With an ever-growing portfolio of leading-edge safety technologies, Bendix advanced driver assistance systems are a critical enhancement to driver and fleet success. Along with performance in the field and unparalleled post-sales support, Bendix technologies can help increase ROI, as well as lower total cost of vehicle ownership – all while making North America’s roadways safer for everyone.
As the main parking brake valve supplier to the North American market (over 95% share, in fact), Bendix designed Intellipark to have the same or greater robustness as the current pneumatic dash valves. With a comprehensive understanding of the pertinent industry regulations, Bendix continues to be the trusted supplier to the commercial vehicle sector.